Friday, June 11, 2010

Being curious about what blocks us

So I'm exploring what it is like to do yoga and writing every day.

These are two things that I love to do. And I want to do them. And I know they're good for me - nourishing and helpful and kind. Not only that, I've now kind of committed myself ... mostly in my head ... to doing these things every day for the next 21 days.

And I'm wondering why the yoga, in particular, has always felt difficult. And why, even though I've been wanting to do a daily yoga practice for years, I've never managed it.

Being curious

Sometimes it can help to take an exploratory approach when looking at the things that are blocking you. So often we go straight into frustration or annoyance at ourselves about our behaviours ... WHY won't I do this or that thing.

So anyway, play along if you want. Is there something you want to do (something you know is good for you - like eating well or exercising regularly) that you somehow don't get to?

Let's begin

Speculate. Wonder. What might the reason be? Let's just play with it. Write down whatever ideas come to you.

While I'm telling myself that doing yoga every day would be helpful and nourishing and fun, what is my body actually hearing?

- routine (=boring!)
- oh my god, another thing I have to do
-
tick off the list - that's over with!
- you're going to make me get up early and be tired all day
- there is something here about not deserving pleasure that I don't pay for (that is weird! And quite unhelpful!)
- there is something else about not being good enough which I also don't understand. I don't feel this in a yoga class - it doesn't cross my mind. Why is this coming up about doing it by myself (oh right, my main critic)
- oh my goodness, my body is worried I'd be creating something for me to be critical of myself about - no WONDER it doesn't want me to do it

I am kind of surprised about the self criticism thing - I thought I'd let a lot of that go ... not with everything apparently ...

What about for you? Are you surprised at any of the responses you get?

Whatever we feel exists for a reason.

Is there somewhere you'd feel ok to start?

What about if you were to try this thing? Is there a starting point that you do actually feel comfortable with? Something that you'd find easy and fun and completely unthreatening?

For me and my yoga it was savasana (lying on the floor for 20 minutes). There is nothing about savasana that has anything to do with achievement and I don't even know how you could judge if you'd done a good job. By stillness maybe?!

The first day of my yoga I just did savasana. The next day, I felt like rocking on my back a bit too. I can't help but notice that each day I'm doing my practice a bit earlier in the day, doing a few more postures (that I feel like doing - there's no plan!) and actually enjoying it more and more.

And it is actually starting to feel like I always thought it should - something that is fun and nurturing and gentle. Something that I want to do ... and actually do.

Knowledge transmuted into wisdom

This is something that has also been coming up for some of my clients lately. So often we know what is best for us. Yet there is a big difference between knowing things and actually doing them, something that Marg just wrote about. But don't be too hard on yourself ... there is probably a really good reason!

But don't forget to ask yourself what it might be.

The knowledge might just be enough to change the way you feel about it so that you can go ahead and actually do it.

Image from Flickr: Yoga Girl by tiffanywashko

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I'm booked in for your workshop with Nadine next month and I look forward to a little unstuckness for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, looking forward to meeting you then Svasti. Yes the unstuckiness will be good. The unstuck workshop ended up being a revelation for us - we had to unstuck our ideas about what it was going to be first!
    But it's all flowing and gorgeousness now! :)

    ReplyDelete