Saturday, May 8, 2010

Living Creatively

Crayola Lincoln Logs by laffy4k

I was talking about work with another of the girls at Sakura Lounge recently. She asked,

"Do you get stressed by your work?"

Truthfully I don't get stressed by seeing clients. As you can probably guess, I love what I do.
Sometimes the first session in particular can be very emotional for the client and at the start the list of things that Aren't Going Well is often rather long.

However I've had so many experiences of seeing those same clients come back a week or two later looking different; lighter, and feeling much better already. And I've repeatedly seen how quickly things start to move forwards from there ... so I know that things will change. It's awesome. And I balance Kinesiology with the other work I do, including some work in an office environment.
"I can't imagine you in an office job!" the girl told me,

"I can only see you as Kerry the Kinesiologist!"

Isn't it funny how things change.

It reminded me of how just a few years ago, I felt so stuck in teaching. I knew I didn't want to be a teacher for my whole life. But I had no idea what I wanted to do. No idea where to begin.
Nothing was jumping out whatsoever. And I was also really busy. That's what I remember about teaching. The constant rush of too much to do, not enough time to do it properly and how will I avoid getting burnt out. Pressured and so structured.

Though I'd been seeing a Kinesiologist, I didn't even consider it as an option for me til after I'd had a pretty extroadinary session - the one where we worked on the depression stuff that had been around for years.

It was in a Kinesiology session soon after that it came up that I was 'bored'.

"I am NOT bored, I am WAY too busy," I said.

However, when we looked into it, yep I was bored. And when we went looking for what it was that I did want? I recall it was hard to get to. And then the word creativity came up. Which made me cry! I had no idea why. But creative I was definitely not.

Creativity comes in many forms.

Creativity is obviously not just drawing or writing or creating some other form of art ... you can be creative in the way you live your life and express yourself.

I've noticed the (very) occasional person in my life wondering where I'm taking all of this ... do I have a goal to work full time as a Kinesiologist, do I have a preference for one aspect of what I do. I can see the variety is confusing for them. Perhaps to them it would feel unstable. It's not the standard way to approach your work life.

But truly - the balance is what works for me. And I find it creative. I may not continue to work in an office forever but the doing a million things? It suits me. As much as I love Kinesiology, I also love it because it's not all I do.

It is so amazing to have the choice.

Some of my clients are at that stage of wanting to make the move into something new ... yet not knowing what that is. I've missed out a few steps here. It wasn't easy. There were plenty of steps along the way and often I couldn't see where I was going.

If I had? I probably would have gotten in the way, creating walls and limitations through my own fears that it wasn't possible.

Looking after myself

I'm not complacent, I consciously continue to look after myself. I restrict the number of clients I see in a day and schedule breaks. I make sure I do things for myself like have massages and Kinesiology sessions and go to yoga and do meditation. I do quite a bit of self Kinesiology too - holding points, working with chakras, using flower essences and cards.

We'll be looking at some of that stuff at the (fully booked) Getting Yourself Un-Stuck workshop next Sunday (though there's another next month!)

Balance - at last!

So yes, I've been through some very unbalanced times to get here but now my life is working pretty well. I work casually in an office job related to my background in education and am incredibly fortunate to be able to do as little or as much as I am able to with that. And I also do some online work related to education and web 2.0ish stuff from home. Plus of course I write my blog and now I'm doing workshops and so it goes.

I like variety and am comfortable with different roles and I have a balance of working with others (I do like having colleagues), in groups, by myself and one-on-one, working deeply with emotions and just focusing on a task, complete freedom and some structure.

So there we go. I didn't have a clear picture of what I wanted, but I was committed to change and working on myself and trusting my instincts.

If you're also looking for big change in your life I would say this:

Dream big. And trust yourself. It is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment