Saturday, April 11, 2009

Another doorway


Things are sorting themselves out, as they do.

Although nothing is set in stone, it looks like I will be able to move to official part time work (0.8) and continue my Kinesiology practice :)

I wonder if you'll see the irony that the woman I will hopefully job share with is a Kinesiology client of mine ... and the person who introduced me to blogging in the first place. And I don't really mean the mechanics of type and hit publish, I mean the point to it all, which I'm still exploring.

I wrote about the big talk I had to do recently. Well the keynote was Will Richardson speaking on web 2.0 and blogging. I think I 'get' web 2.0 and in fact that is a big part of what I speak about to teachers. But I get it a whole lot more since, and I've thought a lot about his message, part of which was

"an important value of writing today is not simply to communicate but to get others engaged, to build a larger conversation around what we write"
Maybe that sounds obvious to you but I had an aha moment. I've also been thinking about something Lauren O'Grady blogged,

"You can only be one person online"
And since then I've been merging my worlds a little. Will also said, if you don't feel a moment's hesitation before you hit publish, don't bother. I hear you Will...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry, I thought I should comment on this after checking out your blog following your comment on mine. Laughing at the world & it's funny ways - as I was thinking about creating my blog, I wrote in my journal that it'll be an exercise in being myself with everyone in my life; no more being one side of myself with one group of people & another side of myself with a different group. That you can only be one person on line resonates so much with what I was thinking. Thanks for sharing & being an inspiration. :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan, are you a metal element constitution by any chance?! I had a group of 25 friends round for hot cross buns on Good Friday ... it wasn't til I looked around I realised I know them through such different contexts. Bringing worlds together does feel interesting. But fun! It's a good thing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Kerry.

    Like Susan says above, we are often completely different people with different groups of friends.
    By just being yourself at all times and bringing every part of you to the world then you are living authentically.
    You will shine through and fill others with your light!

    ReplyDelete