Friday, March 13, 2009

Why I do what I do :)

18% of women aged 28 - 33 are depressed!

I read this statistic today and it really shocked me: A 'Women's Health Australia study suggests women aged 28 to 33 are in poorer mental health than their mothers or grandmothers, with almost one in five reporting a diagnosis of depression by a doctor,' (The Australian, Dec 2008).

Surprising for so many reasons ... the fact that young women are experiencing more depression than other age groups, the high proportion ... and the fact that one in five REPORT a diagnosis by a doctor ... imagine then what the true statistics could be...

The study also showed that a woman's 'stage of life influenced rates of depression, with the young dealing with new-found independence, relationships and uncertainty.'

Who can relate to that? So much choice, so much confusion!

I know from personal experience that if you visit a doctor and express concerns about feeling down you are likely to walk away with a prescription for anti-depressants. Of course this may be the best course of attack in some instances ... though I've since discovered that few fare better than a 'placebo' eg sugar pill or fake drug, in trials.

How fortunate was I that I 'happened' to have an appointment with my Kinesiologist, Amanda the next day.

By then I was in 'no choice' about being depressed and taking the anti-depressants - I 'knew' that I had to. The 'diagnosis' (dysthymia - long term low level depression) made perfect sense and I was sick of feeling down for no good reason.

I 'supposed' we might as well 'look at' the depression even though I 'knew' it wouldn't make any difference.

You can see where this is going can't you ...

After that session and another the week after ... my 'depression' cleared - that was over two years ago and I haven't had one of those 'black cloud days' since. And I don't live in fear of a depressed phase sneaking up on me as I did for many years. We got to the root of some of the issues and by clearing them 'at the time' I let go of them in the present. Imbalances in chakras, meridians, brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) and much more were also addressed.
And luckily for me (I believe) I never did get that prescription filled.

So this is why I'm here and why I do what I do :)

1 comment:

  1. It takes real strength to talk about something like depression so openly like you have here. It's good to see the insight and strength you have drawn from such a difficult situation which has lead you to what you do today. You are amazing at what you do and your blog updates are always very insightful. Very proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete